Independent learning in the workplace - self-learning competence as a core element of workplace learning (SelbstLern)
Project duration: 01/1999 – 12/2001
Project code number: D 0695.00 B
New forms of work organisation mean greater autonomy for employees, but also a higher degree of responsibility for the work process and also for the necessary qualifications. This requires much greater orientation knowledge and more in-depth knowledge of working methods than before, but also a high degree of specialist knowledge at the current level as well as key qualifications. Employees are increasingly responsible for their own qualification, because they themselves know best how far the requirements at the workplace are met and where there are still deficits. However, this is new and unfamiliar for many, because thinking for oneself and personal responsibility have not been much in demand so far.
Target groups and their benefits
The pilot project was aimed at training staff in companies and training service providers.
Commercial transfer products have been widely rolled out by the partner throughout Bavaria and are in high demand by SMEs, as well as being further developed in numerous other initiatives.
In the pilot project, the aim was to develop a learning concept together with companies on how employees can be introduced to the process of independent learning. The focus was on guidance for self-reflection: workers and learners are encouraged to visualise and assess their own work situation, their existing and required competences and qualifications as well as the opportunities for competence enhancement at the workplace, in the work environment. In this way, they learn to make good use of the learning opportunities that present themselves and to develop suitable work-accompanying and work-integrated learning strategies in their field of work. In the pilot project, a concept was developed to help employees apply important components in the process of independent learning to their individual learning and development process.
Role of ISOB
ISOB was responsible for the scientific monitoring of the project and developed a navigation system for self-learning employees. ISOB supports the coordination of the development project and the dissemination of the project results.
Products and publications
- Development of a navigation system for independent learning employees (including recognising requirements at the workplace, formulating learning needs, communicating learning needs, actively passing on knowledge, using the field of work as a learning field, tapping into company know-how, assessing learning opportunities and learning progress), initiation, implementation and evaluation of independent learning processes
- Development of a training programme for employees to develop self-learning competences
- Publication and transfer of the results
Berufliche Fortbildungszentren der Bayerischen Wirtschaft (bfz) GmbH
Continuous dialogue partners (tandem model trial):
- Daimler Chrysler AG, Werk Gaggenau
- Hermann Novak und Partner
- Zahnradfabrik Passau
- Diehl Controls Nürnberg
- Telekom Ansbach
- Creditreform Nürnberg
- ECIA Abgastechnik Fürth-Stadeln
- Bolta Werke GmbH Leinburg
- Spagl GmbH Hutthurm
- Wendelstein Werkstätten Rosenheim
- ZF Friedrichshafen AG
- LRA Biberach
- LRA Ravensburg